Monday, February 25, 2013

Homage to the LP in a digital age

Growing up in the 1970s, it was a very big rite of passage to buy your first record album.  It wasn't as easy as just pressing a button and dowloading the music onto your own computer like it is today.  You had to drive (or walk) to your nearest record store, and look through stacks of what they now call "vinyl" or what we called "LPs."



How we listened in the 1970s

The closest record store to me where I was allowed to buy my first album, which was at the age of 10 in 1970, was a place called "Grayson's Tune Town" in Montrose, California.  It is still in business today, opening in 1953. 



Stores like Graysons in the 60s and 70s were the center of everything where music was concerned.  You could get everything from LPs, to 45s, to instruments and lessons, to tons and music books and sheet music. 


Anyway, I loved the song "Fire and Rain" so I bought James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James," which is one of my favorite albums to this day. 




This was actually Taylor's second album, but it was his first in the U.S.  His first album was recorded and first released in England in 1967 on one of the most famous labels ever....the Beatle's Apple label.  Taylor's music has been a lifelong pleasure of mine. I've seen him in concert at least 3 or 4 times. To me, he is one of the greatest performers of our time.

But it was such a pleasure to get that first album home, go in my room, shut the door, put the album on the turntable, throw the headset on, and turn up the volume,and just getting lost in the sound.  Taylor's album was the 9th biggest selling album of 1970; the number one album of the year being the Beatle's "Let It Be."

It was this same year The Carpenters came on the scene.  In a time when America was still reeling from our involvement in Vietnam, and people were still wearing peace signs and the men had long hair (and it was a big deal), Karen and Richard Carpenter really offered something different. But the thing that caught me was Karen's voice.  Immediately, I wanted to sing like that.  I played their "Close to You" album over and over, trying to imitate her sound.






I would never presume to think I could ever sing as well as Karen Carpenter.  But listening to her albums did teach me to sing, something that has brought me endless pleasure throughout my life, and enabled me to participate in choral groups, trios, and do some solo singing.  It also inspired me to study both contemporary and classic voice, which was a great experience.

But my all time favorite performer, well, that is easy.  I think one of my junior high girlfriends turned me on to Elton John in about the 6th grade. 


 Listen to "Teacher I need you"

The album was called "Don't Shoot Me, I'm only the Piano Player."  I couldn't get enough of Elton.  I went to Graysons and bought every album he released prior to this one, and any subsequent albums he released over the years I always purchased.  

As musical styles have come and gone,  my favorite music has not changed.  I love to listen to those old albums from my youth.  It does more than bring back memories; it brings a sense of joy, of innocence, even a sense of continuity; an anchor to the place where the adult you grew into began.  

What was the first album you ever bought? How did it make you feel?  Let me know here, or at bycdgerard@gmail.com




Coming soon to Nook,  Sony and other devices!!!




1 comment:

  1. I am slightly horrified to say that my first album was "K-Tel Presents" in 1980 or maybe 1979 and it was an assortment of disco songs and ballads. I wanted it mostly for "Heart of Glass" by Blondie and some other songs that escape me now. I bought it at Snyder's Drug Store at the local mall for probably $6 and was totally excited. The one I really wanted was only available through the TV and I knew my folks would never write me a check to send away for that album, so this was the next best thing. I remember my first 45s (also from a local drugstore for $1.25 each) Air Supply "All Out of Love" and Rick Springfield "Jessie's Girl."

    The Carpenters - ah, memories. My sister and I used to fight over who sounded the most like Karen (neither of us!) as we sang along to my parents' 8-track tapes in the car on vacations. ABBA and Glen Campbell were the other 8-tracks I remember most from those long rides. And the way the 8-track would get sucked in and eaten by the tape player every once in a while.

    Good memories!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete