Monday, January 14, 2013

Do you always have to like a character? Seriously????

The other day on Goodreads, I was reading one of the forums that was discussing characters and their likeability.  The concept at question was: it is necessary, to truly enjoy a work of fiction, to not only find the character affable, but to identify with the character as well? 

I feel compelled to address this issue for array of different reason, which I will list below.

The novel being discussed was one of the most renowned masterpieces of literature, Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights."  One reader felt the book had no redeeming qualities at all because, well, none of the characters were people you could really care about; they were selfish, nasty, vindicative, cruel, and jealous.  How could anyone "like" or "care" about people like this?   These disagreeable characters made "Wuthering Heights" an unbearable read for this person.

And because of these character's terrible qualities, this person also could not "identify" with them either.  There was no connection felt with any of them. They were like aliens from another planet.

Now, to be fair, "Wuthering Heights" has always been a controversial novel.  When the novel, which was Emily Bronte's only work of fiction, was published in 1847, the reactions of critics were mixed.  Some said the novel's cruel characters epitomized "depravity and vulgarity." One reviewer even wrote how anyone could read it without committing suicide was beyond comprehension. Some reviewers even said what people say now; that the characters were "unlikeable and unpleasant."

From my vantage point, the characters in "Wuthering Heights" epitomize so many things. Why? Because I have felt every emotion Cathy, Heathcliff, Edgar, and Catherine felt in the story.

This is because what these characters convey are human qualities.  And Lord knows those aren't always "nice" qualities.  I have felt jealousy, hate, been vindicative, and selfish.  And I know what it feels to love so deeply that person seems imprinted on your soul, just like what Heathcliff and Cathy felt for each other.  And frankly, I challenge anyone to say they have not felt things these characters have felt.  And at the risk of being nasty, I pity you if you haven't, because the things these characters felt is the stuff of life.

Do I like them? Would I meet them for coffee at Barnes and Noble (Hi, Wendy!!)?  I don't need to like them.  They move me.  They take my breath away.  So liking them becomes insignificant. There's a higher force at work here.

Cathy and Healthcliff are an archetype for every couple that has been passionately in love and couldn't be together, for whatever reason, even if those reasons are self-inflicted.  And in spite of everything, they couldn't stay away from one another. 


This will all sound very familar if you've read "Because You're the First."  If you haven't read it yet, this is a bit of a spoiler alert, so beware!! The teenage Cameron and Kassandra have an argument in their high school english class over "Wuthering Heights" and the behavior of the characters, which turns into an embarrassing moment when everyone in class draws the parallels of their heated argument back to them. 

Many have said the same about my characters as they did about the characters in "Wuthering Heights." I have also seen it in other book reviews; this idea that "if I don't want to be buddies with this character," he or she has no redeeming qualities.

Now, I suppose this looks like I'm being pissy about a few bad reviews.  Let me say I never expected everyone to like my book.  That is impossible, first of all.  Second of all, there are a lot of controversial issues in the book, i.e., teen sex, infidelity, adults taking advantage of vulnerable young adults, and so on, that some could find offense. Naturally this book is not for everybody, and that's okay. 

But really, what perplexes me is this "I need to like the character stuff" because I never, ever think to myself, "Oh, I don't like this character or that character." If fact, there have been some fantastic characters that you just love to hate.  If all writers just wrote about characters that were likeable, there would have been no Bill Sykes from "Oliver Twist", or Eustacia Vye in "Return of the Native" or so many others.  What works is how that character resonates with your humanity. 

In other words, does this character make you feel something strong? Will you remember the characters in this book for long time? What stays with you, long after the book goes back in the bookshelf, or on your cloud? 

It is my sincere hope that the characters I create bring this intensity of feeling to my readers.  Love them, hate them, be disgusted by them, cheer for them.  But feel something.  That, to any writer, is the greatest accomplishment.


The 2009 PBS film of "Wuthering Heights" with Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley
My personal favorite





Available at Amazon.com
Coming soon to others!!




No comments:

Post a Comment