Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Chick Lit: Literary Genre or Chewing Gum???

When I was posting my new novel "Because You're the First," onto KDP Select (otherwise known as Amazon) for publication, I was asked what genre my book would fit into.  Of course there were the usual choices; romance, suspense, action, non-fiction, etc.

It was then that I noticed one I hadn't heard of: Chick Lit.  This gave me pause.  The only "Chick Lit" I had ever known was the gum; you remember; those little tiny colored squares that came in the usual gum flavors.  You would always have to put more than one in your mouth if you were really a serious gum chewer, and especially if you wanted to blow bubbles.

But clearly, KDP Direct was not talking about gum.  This was a true literary genre. 

So the burning question was: does "Because You're the First" fit into the "Chick Lit" category. Its protagonist is certainly a woman, and the story addresses issues women face, love, aging, motherhood, daughterhood, friendship, etc. If Chick Lit meant just a women's story; well, that would probably fit. But was that all there was to it? My book address other themes that are more universal than just traditional women's issues; i.e. trust, generational issues, and the power of our institutions to exploit our humanity.

I decided to try and glean a true meaning for this term.  Of course, for that I turned to the source that is the always the epitome of accuracy and truth.

Wikipedia.

Wikipedia stated that Chick Lit is a "literary genre that addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humourously and lightheartedly."

Okay, I guess I get that. I suppose there are many books that would fit that genre. But as we all know, "modern womanhood" as they call it, can be anything but humorous and lighthearted.   I suppose it depends on your prospective.  There are humorous stories about many women's issues, from sex to menopause to parenting to marriage.  These issues of course can be funny in the right context.

"Chick Lit" to me seems to put sort of a trite connotation on writing that addresses women's issues, as if women's themes are not as weighty as men's issues.  You don't see books written predominately for men being referred to as "Dude Lit." The slang word "chick"sounds condescending; I think most women really take issue with being referred to as a "chick."  I always thought of it as an antiquated term.  Guess it must be coming back in style!!

So from that standpoint, "Because You're the First" is definitely not "Chick Lit." I listed it as "Romance" and "Suspense" and "Mainstream."  I know that while my main character is female, she has a lot to offer both male and female readers!!!

How about we call it "People Lit."  I think that would fit it perfectly!!!  Anyway, hope you enjoy the book.  In the next few weeks, I will be talking about various themes, settings and characters from it; of course this is meant to entice you to dig into to it, and enjoy!!!




Available Now on Amazon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment